Celebrity mum and recipe author Fay Ripley has joined forces with Red Tractor beef and lamb to bring you the perfect solution to the mid-week dinner dilemma – the midweek mini roast!
With kids’ after school activities busier than ever – from homework to sports clubs and after school playdates – navigating the family weekly schedule and deciding what to put on the midweek menu can be a tricky task. But this dish cooks in the oven in under 50 minutes so you can serve-up the kids’ favourite dinner any night of the week.
From a traditional roast with veg to sides of rice or chutney, the mini roast is extremely versatile, meaning you can cater for the various family tastes and ensure your kids enjoy a nutritious meal at the same time. What is more, the mini roast makes for a quick and low maintenance meal, so while it’s cooking in the oven, you’ll be free to help with the homework!
See www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk for great recipe ideas.
Beef Mini Roast with a Smoked Paprika Rub and Jewel Rice
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes (for medium)
1 x 400-450g/14oz-1lb lean beef mini roast
A little salt
Freshly milled black pepper
2.5ml/1Ž2tsp smoked paprika powder
For the Jewel Rice:
200g plain rice of your choice
100g/4oz frozen peas
Small bunch fresh mint
Fresh cucumber and yogurt relish
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the joint in a small roasting rack lined with foil and make several slits over the surface. Add the oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and rub generously over the joint. Roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and the peas separately according to the packet instructions. Drain and stir together.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly chop the mint and stir through the rice.
- Remove any meat bands or butcher’s string from the joint, carve and serve with the vegetable rice and the relish.