50g / 2oz butter or margarine
300ml / ½ pint water
150g /5oz plain flour, sieved
3 large eggs
Oil for deep frying
Mixed caster and icing sugar for dredging. Also nice with the addition of cinnamon to the sugar.
- Warm butter/margarine and water in saucepan, bring to the boil. Take off the heat and tip in all of the flour and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time beating well to incorporate them into the batter.
- Put mixture into a forcing bag fitted with a 0.5-1cm/ ¼”– ½” diameter nozzle.
- Heat deep oil in a deep pan to 180˚ to 190˚C /350˚ to 375˚F.
- Carefully pipe churros paste into the hot oil cutting to required shape (straight short lengths are the easiest) with a knife. Only fry about three at a time as the paste swells in the oil. Fry until golden brown all over. Drain thoroughly on kitchen paper and serve warm dredged liberally with the mixed sugars.
- Great with morning coffee or afternoon tea or even as a dessert.